If you are worried about the burnt plastic smell coming from your dishwasher, then you need to do something about it! It’s wise to take immediate action, especially when the smell is unbearable.
You may not know where the smell is coming from, so that gives you enough reason to inspect the source thoroughly. It’s best to know what’s causing the smell. And it doesn’t matter whether you use a countertop dishwasher or any other.
So, how to get burnt plastic smell out of the dishwasher? Let’s find out.
Getting Rid of The Burnt Plastic Smell from Dishwasher
When you feel the smell coming from your dishwasher, it’s time to check this magic machine thoroughly! It’s making your life easy by washing the dishes for you. Also, it would help if you were sure that it’s not anything dangerous. You can let a professional deal with the situation if the smell is intense.
It’s best not to take any chances when you are unsure, and the smell keeps increasing in intensity. A professional would know whether it’s a fire hazard or not. You could be using the best dishwasher, but may encounter an issue.
Consider the following:
Empty The Dishwasher
When your dishwasher has completed the task of washing and drying the dishes, you must wait! When the dishwasher cools down, then it’s time to take some action. The reason is that after drying, the dishwasher would be hot, and thus, you need to wait to see what’s going on inside. You may have a double drawer dishwasher, but you need to empty it.
Then, take everything out from the dishwasher to know the source of the smell. No matter how many cleaning methods you try, it’s vital to find the source of the smell in the first place.
Thoroughly Inspect The Dishwasher
When you smell that something is burning, probably like plastic, then it’s time to inspect the dishwasher thoroughly. But, first, you need to see if any plastic objects in the dishwasher may have melted. During the drying cycle, if you put a plastic thing by mistake, it may melt.
You can check the upper and the lower rack of the dishwasher. If you find a plastic object, then remove it! Make sure you get rid of this unwanted object as you don’t want more plastic smell or damage.
Use Products Available On The Market
You can easily find products on the market that can help you get rid of the unwanted smell from your dishwasher. But, first, you have to see what viable options are available to you.
You can also do a quick web search to find the list of suitable products for thoroughly cleaning the dishwasher if there is an odor.
Use The Baking Soda
Another thing that you can try is the baking soda method. First, you have to be sure that the smell is not harmful or anything isn’t serious. The baking soda method can help you eliminate the odor.
Try the following:
- Soap compartment fill with baking soda.
- Opt for the normal cycle and let the power of baking soda clean your dishwasher.
- You may need to do it twice!
See if it helps! If so, you can share your experience in the comments.
Ask for Professional Help
If you are not sure about cleaning the dishwasher or have no idea what to do, you must consider professionals! It’s best to let the experts deal with the issue. First, find the model number of your dishwasher, and you can contact the manufacturer for more information.
You can better ask the property management or landlord to guide you if you rent the place! However, it’s good to know what’s best to do in a scenario like this.
Open Windows for Ventilation
You may feel nervous when you may smell the plastic burning! It’s time to open the windows of the house. Because of ventilation, you can get rid of the unwanted smell.
If the source of the unwanted smell is inside the dishwasher, you need to level up and try cleaning it thoroughly. Find out what’s the main issue and get rid of it!
Tips to Keep In Mind When Using Dishwasher
When using the dishwasher and inspecting it for damage, keep the following points in mind:
- It’s always better to read the instructions manual when dealing with such machines.
- Ask a professional company to help you. Do a quick web search and find a company in the nearby area. You can also read the reviews and comments from other customers to understand what to expect.
- You may need to open the machine if you are unsure where the smell is coming from, and you can try DIY methods, but only when you have some experience. If you have no idea how to deal with such machines, then it’s best to let the experts deal with the issue.
- Always follow the instructions on the manual of your dishwasher. You need to know what type of products you can wash in the dishwasher and which ones to avoid. For example, it won’t be ideal for washing the plastic objects in the dishwasher.
You can also read the instructions on the type of dishes you wash in the dishwasher. The product information would tell you whether this product is suitable to wash in the dishwasher or not! Always read the instructions as you may ignore them, but it’s best to know.
Wrapping It Up
You are trying your best to know how to get the burnt plastic smell out of the dishwasher:
- You need to find the source of the unwanted smell. Without getting rid of the source, it would be hard to eliminate the odor. Empty the dishwasher and open it if necessary!
- Check the dishwasher thoroughly and look for burnt plastic objects. Remove it if it’s there!
- Use the baking soda in the soap compartment to clean the dishwasher.
- You can also try opening the window of your kitchen.
You can try different things and see what works best for you! However, when you are unsure what you are doing, it’s best to call the professionals for help. A professional would know what’s the issue and it’s best to let experts do their job.