Having a properly functioning furnace is essential for your comfort and safety. Unfortunately, furnaces will wear out over time, and without proper maintenance, they may fail at the worst possible moments. Therefore, it is important to understand how to keep your furnace running efficiently so you don’t have to worry about being left out in the cold. Here are some essential tips on furnace maintenance in Lake Zurich every homeowner should know:
1) Regularly Change Your Air Filter – A clogged air filter restricts airflow which reduces efficiency and puts extra strain on motors and blower fans that can lead to breakdowns. It’s best to replace your air filter every 3-6 months during heavy use or check it at least once a month and replace it if needed.
2) Schedule Regular Furnace Maintenance – A furnace tune-up should be done by a licensed HVAC technician every 1-2 years to ensure that all components are functioning properly and that no potential problems are developing. During the maintenance visit, technicians will inspect your furnace for any signs of wear and tear, clean the components, check for gas leaks, lubricate moving parts, calibrate the thermostat, and make any necessary repairs.
3) Have Your Ducts Professionally Cleaned – Having your ducts cleaned on a regular basis can help prevent dust build-up which can negatively impact air quality and cause breathing problems. It can also help your furnace run more efficiently since it won’t have to work as hard to push air through the ducts.
4) Check for Gas Leaks – If you have a gas-powered furnace, it is important to regularly check for any signs of gas leaks. You should inspect all piping, valves, and connections and look out for any strange odors or sounds coming from your furnace.
5) Contact a Professional for Repairs – If you notice any strange noises coming from your furnace or think something might be wrong, contact an experienced HVAC technician right away. Trying to repair a furnace yourself without proper knowledge can be dangerous and should be left to professionals.
6) Check the Pilot Light – If your furnace is fuelled by gas and has a pilot light, you should check it periodically to make sure it’s lit. If the flame goes out, you can usually relight it yourself or contact a qualified technician if need be.
7) Monitor Your Furnace Vents – You should regularly monitor your furnace vents for any signs of blockage that may reduce airflow. Make sure all of your vents are open and free from debris so air can flow freely throughout your home.
8) Inspect the Exhaust Flue – The exhaust flue is responsible for venting dangerous gases away from your home such as carbon monoxide, so it’s important to keep it in good shape. Inspect the flue and make sure there are no signs of corrosion or cracks that could allow dangerous gases to enter your home.
9) Have Your Thermostat Checked – If you’re having trouble controlling the temperature in your home, it may be due to a faulty thermostat. Have an HVAC technician check your thermostat to make sure it is functioning properly and can accurately read and adjust temperatures.
10) Consider Installing a Programmable Thermostat – Installing a programmable thermostat can help save money on energy bills since you can set different temperatures for different times of the day when you are not home or asleep. It’s also great for setting different temperatures upstairs and downstairs if you have a two-story home.
11) Keep Your Furnace Area Clean – Make sure that the area around your furnace is clear of any clutter and debris so air can circulate freely and consider covering it during the summer if you have pets or young children in order to prevent any accidents.
12) Invest in furnace Installation in Long Grove IL – If your furnace is more than 10 years old and/or you are experiencing frequent repair issues, it may be time to invest in a new system. Before installation, make sure you research different models and speak with an experienced HVAC technician who can help you select the best system for your needs.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your furnace runs smoothly and efficiently for years to come. For more information about furnace installation and maintenance services, contact the professionals at Aaron & Trecker Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. at 847-540-9585 today!