Living in Delray Beach, Florida brings with it warm temperatures and high humidity. To keep your home cool and comfortable, AC maintenance is a must. With the right guidance and regular check-ups, you can extend the lifespan of your air conditioning system while reducing costly repairs or even AC replacement. Here are ten tips for AC maintenance in Delray Beach, FL, to help keep your air conditioner running smoothly:
- Change Your Filter Regularly – The filter in your HVAC system should be changed at least every three months — more frequently if you have furry pets or someone in your family suffers from allergies or asthma. A dirty filter will reduce efficiency and increase wear on the motor, leading to breakdowns and costly repair bills.
- Have Your AC Cleaned and Inspected Annually – Hire a certified HVAC technician to thoroughly clean the interior of your air conditioning unit while also inspecting it for signs of wear or any potential problems that could lead to an AC replacement down the line.
- Clear Away Debris Around the Unit – Make sure there are no leaves, twigs, grass clippings, fertilizer bags or other debris piled up near your outdoor air conditioning unit. This will help prevent airflow obstructions that can cause equipment damage and reduce cooling efficiency indoors.
- Keep Vents Unobstructed – The vents inside your home should be free from furniture, draperies, and carpets so air can flow freely about the room.
- Make Sure the Thermostat is Set Properly – Programmable thermostats will help you save money on cooling costs during the summer months and make sure your home is comfortable when you return from work each day.
- Monitor Your Electric Bill – If your electric bill has been steadily climbing, it could be a sign of an inefficient AC system or that your unit needs repair or even AC replacement due to wear and tear over time.
- Check Refrigerant Levels – The refrigerant in your air conditioning system should be checked annually to make sure levels are where they should be for optimal performance and efficiency. A licensed technician will also check for any leaks that need to be repaired before refilling the refrigerant.
- Don’t Forget to Schedule a Tune-up – As part of your annual AC maintenance, schedule a tune-up with a certified HVAC technician. This will help ensure that all components are working correctly and that no small issues have the chance to become bigger problems down the road.
- Consider an AC Replacement if Necessary – If your air conditioner is more than 10 years old and not running as efficiently as it should, consider replacing it with an Energy Star-certified unit for increased energy savings. Replacing outdated air conditioning units can lead to much lower electricity bills and reduce the likelihood of expensive repairs or replacements in the future.
- Educate Yourself on AC Maintenance – Learning about how to properly maintain your air conditioner can help you better understand the importance of regular check-ups and the need for AC replacement in Delray Beach, FL. This knowledge can also help you save money by reducing unnecessary repairs, increasing energy efficiency, and extending the life of your unit.
Why DIY method is not a good option for repairs, maintenance, and AC replacement in Delray Beach, FL?
DIY repairs, maintenance, and replacements on air conditioners may seem like a good idea, but they can be extremely risky. While some minor tasks such as changing the filter every three months or clearing away debris around the unit are simple enough to do yourself, any other complicated tasks should be left to a professionally certified HVAC technician. Attempting to do more advanced repairs or replacements on your own can be incredibly dangerous due to the high voltage of electricity running through the system. Also, incorrect installation or faulty wiring can lead to serious injuries and even death if an electric shock occurs.
Furthermore, attempting complex AC maintenance without proper knowledge can also result in expensive misunderstandings and costly damages that will have to be repaired by a professional anyways. For this reason, it’s best to leave all complicated repairs, maintenance, and replacements on air conditioners to the experts. By choosing a certified professional, you’ll have peace of mind, knowing your AC is in good hands and that you won’t be putting yourself at risk.
By following the above tips for AC maintenance, you can extend the lifespan of your air conditioning system and avoid costly repair bills or even an AC replacement due to a malfunctioning unit. For more information on keeping your home cool, contact Atlas Home Services at 561-734-8200.