- 1 Introduction
- 2 Top 10 Best Pellet Grill Under 500 Review and Features
- 2.1 1. Green Mountain Davy Crockett WiFi Control Portable Wood Pellet Grill
- 2.2 2. Z Grills ZPG-7002B 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet
- 2.3 3. Z Grills ZPG-450A 2020 Wood Pellet Grill
- 2.4 4. Z Grills ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill Smoker for Outdoor Cooking
- 2.5 5. PIT Boss 700 FB Pellet Grill
- 2.6 6. Camp Chef PPG20 Pursuit Portable Pellet Grill
- 2.7 7. Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill Holiday 8-in-1 BBQ
- 2.8 8. Traeger Pellet Grills TFB30KLF Tailgater
- 2.9 9. Z Grills ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill
- 2.10 10. Cuisinart CPG-6000 Deluxe Wood Pellet
- 3 Buying Guide
- 4 FAQs:
- 5 Final Words
If you love BBQ parties then it is likely that you know that choosing the right equipment will make a huge difference. Other than the meat itself you can choose a top-quality pellet grill for your BBQ. However, it can be quite a task to find a good grill that comes at a decent price. This is especially true in case you have set your eyes on buying the pellet grill. There are many brands that market and sell pellet grills but not all of them offer top-quality grills. In the following review, we are going to look at the best pellet grill under 500, including the pros and cons and the buyer’s guide.
Top 10 Best Pellet Grill Under 500 Review and Features
1. Green Mountain Davy Crockett WiFi Control Portable Wood Pellet Grill
Green Mountain Davy Crockett WiFi Control Control Portable Wood Pellet Grill is an ideal choice if you are looking for a grill that can be used to whip up dishes for the entire family. It comes with a screen that allows you to take control of your cooking so that you can digitally monitor the temperature. The app allows you to control the grill and monitor the temperature while you are far from it. With a 12 x 18 inches cooking surface, this wood pellet grill can generate even heat for a meal that is well cooked. It features a small bucket for easy cleaning and includes a grease tray that collects most liquids. This wood pellet grill has a compact and lightweight design with a weight of 57 pounds that makes it easy to carry. The foldable design makes this wood pellet easy to pack up nicely.
- One of the best grills for tailgating
- It can run on either 120 AC or 12 Volts
- Easy to use compared to other smaller grills
- The legs on the bottom offer a sturdy cooking surface
- Has a weight of 57 pounds which makes it easy to carry
- Does not offer enough space as other grills
2. Z Grills ZPG-7002B 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet
For those who love backyard cookouts the Z Grills ZPG-7002B 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet is a recommended option. They come with a larger warming area and grilling area and can be used to bake, smoke, grill, braise, roast, and barbeque. Also, they come with a grill cover that protects the grill from external elements as well as wild animals. The pellet grill technology allows you to get the flavor of wood-smoked food with this grill. Z Grills ZPG-7002B 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet comes with an automated electric feed system that maintains the heat within 10 degrees of the temperature you set from 80°F to 450°F. The 7002B Wood Pellet has a fan-forced convection cooking that eliminates the need for rotisserie as well as creates a versatile environment for smoking, baking, braising, grilling, and roasting.
- It is easy to assemble
- Good temperature control
- Clean up is quite easy thanks to the waste oil collector
- You can set the temperature between 180 to 450 degrees F
- You can set the temperature low to dehydrate meats
- The product comes with a 3-year manufacturer warranty
- Comes with wheels that are heavy-duty and is used in all-terrain
- The temperature can fluctuate
- Difficult to find replacement parts
3. Z Grills ZPG-450A 2020 Wood Pellet Grill
Z Grills ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill specializes in wood pellet grills. Convection is popular not just in BBQ but also in microwaves and ovens. Wood pellet grills are good because of the convection, versatility, better temperature, and fast cooking. This is a 6 in 1 pellet grill which allows you to roast, smoke, bake, BBQ, and braise. It features an auto-start ignition feature that allows you to set your temperature to anything between 180 to 450°F. Z Grills ZPG-450A 2020 Wood Pellet Grill has an auto-start ignition and digital auto temperature control. It can maintain heat within 10 degrees of set temperature from between 180°F and 450°F.
- It is easy to clean using a waste oil collector
- 6 in 1 grill which allows you to roast, smoke, braise, and grill
- The stainless steel body offers a beautiful sleek finish and longer life
- Has a large space for grilling which reduces cutting time by a half
- Comes with a 3-year manufacturer warranty
- The temperature control can be anything from 50 or so degrees
4. Z Grills ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill Smoker for Outdoor Cooking
Z Grills ZPG-450A is a wonderful wood pellet grill that offers versatility, convection, better temperature regulation, and fast cooking. It is an 8 in 1 grill that allows you to use the pellet grill to smoke ribs; grill vegetables and burgers; bake pizza and biscuits; smoke fish, jerky, and ribs. You can start the grill with the auto-start ignition while the digital auto temperature control allows you to digitally set the temperature between 180°F and 45°F. Z Grills ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill Smoker for Outdoor Cooking is made of top-grade stainless steel which is highly resistant for long-lasting use. It is a highly versatile BBQ grill that is suitable for baking, grilling, smoking, roasting, barbecue, or sear.
- It is easy to clean with a waste oil collector
- Comes with a 3-year manufacturer warranty
- 8 in 1 grill with the ability to smoke ribs, grill burgers, and bake biscuits
- The stainless steel body offers a longer life as well as a beautiful sleek finish
- Features automated temperature control system that keeps it at the right temperature setting and helps regulate smoke production
- The starter/ ignition malfunctions after some time
5. PIT Boss 700 FB Pellet Grill
Fifth on this list of best pellet grill under 500 is PIT Boss 700FB Pellet Grill. It has a temperature range that starts from 180°F and goes all the way up to 500°F. This makes it an ideal range for newbies and accomplished grill masters. The solid construction ensures that it takes everything that you throw at it. One of the biggest problems with other pellet grills is that they do not have an easy way that you can empty unused pellets. The 7170FB addresses this issue thanks to the pellet cleanout chute which allows you to conveniently pour out unused pellets. As the name suggests, PIT Boss 700 FB Pellet Grill has a 700 square inch cooking surface which makes it enough to cook everything that you like. The upper cooking grates can be removed or adjusted for added cooking space. This comes in handy when cooking large meats like whole turkeys.
- The temperature range is from 180°F to 500°F
- It is easy to clean and use
- 8 in 1 grill
- Porcelain-coated grills
- 700 square inch cooking surface
- Offers great value for the price
- Comes with a weak warranty
- The temperature fluctuates
6. Camp Chef PPG20 Pursuit Portable Pellet Grill
Camp Chef is a well-renowned manufacturer of small grills that are designed for outdoor camping experiences. This is a lightweight pellet grill that comes with an automatic ignition as well as a hopper that has a ten-pound capacity. It features a patented ash cleanout system that helps with cleanup. In addition, it has a large amount of grilling space that measures up to 501 square inches. The grill grates come with a nonstick layer which allows you to remove and wash when needed. Camp Chef PPG20 Pursuit Portable Pellet Grill has a simple temperature controlling system and auger for operation. The Camp Chef PPG20 has a 3-year warranty.
- Dual shelf convection cooking
- Lockable lid design
- Lightweight and portable pellet grill
- Features digital controls and patented ash cleanout system
- Two LED thermometers for greater temperature monitoring
- Grill and slide technology
- The legs are a bit wobbly
- It is still a bit heavy
7. Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill Holiday 8-in-1 BBQ
Z Grills ZPG-550B Wood Pellet Grill Holiday 8-in-1 BBQ is suitable for smoke, grill, roast, bake, sear, braise, char-grill, and barbeque. It features smart smoke technology which is an automatic feed system that maintains temperature from 180°F to 450°F. This wood pellet grill has a large grilling area that measures 399 sq inches main rack and 139 sq inches warm rack, which makes it suitable for tailgating, home, and party. In addition, it has a hopper capacity of 10 pounds which can accommodate up to 3 whole chickens, 10 burgers or 3 racks of ribs. The Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill Holiday 8-in-1 BBQ is a stylish model that weighs 84 pounds, making it easy to carry it anywhere.
- Easy to set up
- 3-year manufacturer warranty
- It is easy to clean using waste oil collector
- Features heavy-duty castor locking wheels
- You only set the temperature between 180°F to 500°F and the pellet grill does the rest
- Ultimate 8 in 1 grill that allows for a roast, smoke, bake, braise, char-grill, sear and barbeque food
- Temperature control problems
8. Traeger Pellet Grills TFB30KLF Tailgater
Traeger Pellet Grills TFB30KLF Tailgater offers versatile cooking capability as you can use it to smoke, bake, roast, grill, braise, or BBQ just anywhere. It has a cooking space of 300 square inches which means that you can cook up to 12 burgers or 2 whole chickens. With a maximum temperature of 450°F, Traeger Pellet Grills TFB30KLF Tailgater comes with a cooking barrel that can sustain high temperatures for cooking such as braising and grilling, as well as be used for smoking. This pellet grill is designed to be compact and small, making it ideal for tailgate parties. If you are looking for a smoker and grill that you can travel with then the Traeger pellet Grills TFB30KLF Tailgater is an ideal option thanks to its lightweight design.
- It is user friendly
- Comes with an efficient temperature control
- Compact and lightweight with EZ fold legs
- Uses wood pellets for great woody taste
- Easy to put together
- The ash cleanout system is not streamlined
- Facing legs are a bit wobbly
9. Z Grills ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill
Z Grills ZPG-450A Grill uses wood pellet which is desirable thanks to the versatility, convection, better temperature regulation, and fast cooking. This is an ultimate 8 in 1 pellet grill that can be used to roast, bake, smoke, grill, sear, braise, and char-grill. It is fuelled by premium 100% hardwood pellets that generate smoke and heat, thus infusing your food with a savory wood-fire taste. The pellet griller comes with a grilling area of 450 square inches in total that offers enough space for you to cook enough food at the same time. Z Grills ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill has digital temperature control which allows you to add wood pellets that help regulate temperature.
- Has a large cooking area
- Offers great taste to your food
- It has a stainless steel body which offers a longer life
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- Provides 20-pound hopper capacity
- Has a dimension of 128 square inches of warming/ smoking rack
- The customer service is not always helpful
10. Cuisinart CPG-6000 Deluxe Wood Pellet
Finally on this list of best pellet grill under 500 is Cuisinart CPG-6000 Deluxe Wood Pellet. This grill comes with an extra-large cooking capacity that measures 700 total square inches. It is an extra-large pellet 20 pounds hopper that comes with an auto pellet feed system. It can accommodate up to 15 hours of smoke time. The extra-large cabinet design provides storage space for grilling tools and pellet bags. Cuisinart CPG-6000 Deluxe Wood Pellet comes with a bonus cover that helps protect the pellet grill from outdoor elements.
- Easy to clean and use
- Offers perfect grilling experience
- Electric ignition and digital display
- Has an extra-large cooking capacity
- The digital control is easy to use
- Has a short warranty period
- No re-usable drippings cup
There are many models for pellet grills you can find in the market which makes it difficult to choose a great product under $500. Unless you are aware of all the models and brands available in the market, it can be difficult to buy the best pellet grill. If you want to choose the best pellet grill out of the many products out there you should consider various features. In this section, I have shortlisted features you need to consider before you purchase the best pellet grill under 500.
Pellet grills that are digital are good because they make grilling as well as temperature control more straightforward. Therefore, you must choose a pellet grill that comes with temperature controls. This could be either manual with a knob or digital using a screen interface.
The best pellet grill comes with high tech components as well as other moving parts like an auger. Therefore, a pellet griller may have moving parts that can break, and if that happens you want to be sure they are covered by a warranty. Before you purchase a pellet grill, make sure you know the length of the warranty, what voids it, what will be covered, and the place you need to take the pellet grill for repairs.
Cooking surface area
The cooking surface area you will choose depends on the number of people you will cook for and the amount of food you are cooking. The best pellet grills come with 300 to 1300 square inches of cooking surface area in addition to larger size grills. If you are cooking with a small grill with a size of 570 square feet, then you will do more rounds of barbecue compared to a larger grill.
The last thing that you want to do is purchase a pellet grill that consumes a lot of pellets. In case the pellet grill has a thin body, heat will be lost via the body of the grill. Likewise, if the metal is too thick, you will end up using a lot of pellets. This is because heat is removed from the cooking area and stored in the cooker’s walls.
The type of controller can influence the model’s convenience. Most essential groups come with a three-position controller which allows you to pick low, medium, or high setting warmth. On the other hand, multi-position controllers allow you to modify the temperature-dependent based on pre-decided additions.
Another factor you should consider while choosing the best pellet under 500 is durability. If you are investing in a new pellet grill, make sure that the model consists of a powder stainless steel body and has a sturdy construction. A quality pellet grill can last for long and is also weatherproof and rust-resistant.
The best pellet grills have extra features that improve your grilling experience. Some of the features to look out for include WiFi connectivity, built-in lighting, sear box, and multiple level cooking racks.
Not all the brands which market and sell pellet grill are the best. You need to buy from the best pellet grill if you want to rip the most out of your investment. Some of the top brands include Traeger, RecTec, Green Mountain Grills, Camp Chef, and Pit Boss Grills.
The final factor to consider while looking for the best pellet grill to buy is the price. We all want to buy products that fall within our budget. Buying a cheap pellet grill that does not match your needs will cost you more money in the long term. Choosing a high-quality grill which is durable and falls within your budget will ensure that you are satisfied with your purchase. You should expect to pay between $400 and $2000 for a quality model.
Q: What is a pellet grill?
Ans: A pellet grill refers to a traditional smoker that can be heated using small and high energy pellets. They feature a built-in digital controller that monitors the internal temperature of the pellet grill. Pellet grills are worth the money because they allow you to explore different cooking methods such as BBQ, Grilling, Baking, and Roasting.
Q: Are pellet grills ideal for smoking?
Ans: Yes, they are good for smoking as they come with better wind current, trickle stream, indoor regulators, and so on. However, the nature of your smoke depends on the pellets you use for cooking.
Q: Which is the best pellet grill under $500?
Ans: Many good pellet grills are being sold but they can cost you a fortune to buy. It is not easy to find the best pellet grill under 500 but if I was to recommend one I would suggest you get Z Grills ZPG-7002B 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet. This is a highly durable well-built pellet grill which adds a smoky flavor to your meals.
Q: How does a pellet grill work?
Ans: Pellet grills function simply to ensure that cooking works continuously without interruption. It relies on a pellet delivery system. Usually, most pellet grills come with a heat rod that ignites the pellets as well as a combustion fan that keeps burning. A digital controller feature works by controlling the internal temperature of the smoker. On the other hand, a firebox creates a wood-burning fire that circulates flavor and pure hardwood smoke.
Q: Will upgrading the grill help fix the problem?
Ans: It is simple to fix any problem you may experience with your pellet grill. You can do this by replacing any faulty part. In this case, you can expect to pay anything from $30 to $40 or less for any faulty part which is less costly than hiring a professional. Also, you will save money from buying a new pellet grill.
Q: Are pellet grills better to use than gas?
Ans: Yes, when it comes to flavor pellet and charcoal grills are a better option but they are more expensive to run than gas. Also, they are time-consuming because you have to wait until the pellets are hot before you start cooking.
A top quality pellet grill has the capability of changing your BBQ by adding the sought after wood fire taste to your food. However, buying a wood pellet grill can cost you a fortune. If your budget is tight, you can choose one of the best pellet grills under 500 from our list above. These grills offer mobility, versatility, and great value for your money.
Best Deals Pellet Grill For This Week
Related Review Article: